Friday, December 14, 2007

Letter to Margaret Petterson Haddix

This is my entry for the Letters of Literature contest.

Dear Margaret Peterson Haddix,

Your book Among the Enemy really inspired me to stand up for what I believe in. I was inspired by the way Matthias was so brave and how he was so loyal to his friends, Alia and Percy. Also, I admired how he fought against the Population Police to help free the “shadow children.” Matthias had great and loyal friends that would do anything for him. I only wish that I could be a friend like that to my own friends.

Reading Among the Enemy made me realize how badly people could be treated in the world. I am reminded at how good it feels to live in a world that is free. I am glad that I don’t have to worry about how much food I have left to eat or how many people are in my family. If my own family was in this book we would not have been able to keep my little brother because of the laws that the Population Police had passed. Your book also saddened me because I didn’t realize some people could be so selfish and keep all that food for them self.

Your book was very meaningful to me because it made me think of what I would have done in the same situations and how I would have reacted to them. It made me think of how I could be a better person, to be less selfish and to think of others before myself. Matthias was a great example of those qualities.

Out of all the characters in the book I would compare myself to Matthias. We are very alike in a way and very different in another way. One way we are alike is by the way we react to things. If I heard that my best friends had died I would have been devastated just like Matthias. Matthias and I are also different because I don’t think I could have gotten the courage to escape from the Population Police the way he did. Just the very thought of getting caught would have kept me from escaping from their headquarters. I really envy Matthias for his bravery and how he handled things in the story.

Your book really grasped my attention. I did not want to put the book down. Reading it was like watching a really great mystery movie in my mind. I could picture the characters and how they felt in each situation that they were faced with. In fact, I have read your other Shadow Children books and I am on Among the Free. I keep reading your books because I can relate to each of the main characters. I look forward to reading your next book to see if they could finally be free in the world and defeat the Population Police at last.

Well, those are some of my feelings about your book, Among the Enemy. You truly inspired me!!! Your book was very meaningful and made me look at the world with different eyes. It made me realize how great it is to live in a free world and to have enough food to feed the whole country. Most importantly, it made me grateful to have a big family who can take care of me. Thank you so much for writing this book. It really made me contemplate on my own life experiences.

No comments: